Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Changing the metaphor for Learning

The following (long) quote comes from the end of Jim Harrison's novella The Ancient Minstrel. Although Harrison is discussing writers and the writer's process, I want you to substitute "educators" for "writers"  as a thought exercise.

"Feeling bright-eyed, confident and arrogant doesn't do the job...You are far better being lost in your work and writing over your head.  You don't know where you are as a point of view unless you go beyond yourself.  It has been said that there is an intense similarity in people's biographies.  It's our dreams and visions that separate us.  You don't want to be writing unless you're giving your life to it. .."

When I start thinking about learning and our educational structures I start to feel a bit off kilter.  As a general principle, I often feel that way when I start to reflect on a lot of topics.  For instance when studying "new" agricultural practices, I am (re) learning that a farmer should do things to their soil that encourage the soil to naturally aerate itself.  This is done simply by planting cover crops and tilling the land...things that my grandfather learned from his father 80 years ago.  Why this practice is now considered "cutting edge" and "new" pushes me off kilter.  In education we are learning that "personalization" of the education process should be our goal.  Quick question...when did personalization not become the goal of education?  Personalization is similar to the old agricultural practices coming back into vogue...why did we get away from them in the first place?

Recently I watched a Ted talk about how we need to think of education in a different metaphor.  Currently the metaphor used to explain the education system is that of a factory.  Raw material (students) are pushed through an assembly line (grading structures) and tinkered with by line workers (teachers) who are overseen by plant managers (principals).  In a previous post I discussed changing from education structures to learning structures.  What is the corresponding change in metaphor for that structural change?

As I grapple with discovering a better metaphor, I am enlightened by Jim Harrison's advice about writing.  All of us who believe in the integrity of learning and believe that we can make a difference in this world must get "lost in our work".  Adults must stretch "beyond ourselves" in order to help students do the same.  When this happens, we will discover the new metaphor for learning.  I welcome your thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment